Friday, October 10, 2008

So my faucet is leaking...

For the past several months we have had a problem with our kitchen faucet not working properly and the main problem is a faulty "diverter" which is stripped and lodged in too tight to remove. So in order to make it all work well I 'd have to basically remove the whole faucet, possibly having to buy a new one. (Shopping is fun, but times are tough you know.) I have let it be and ignored the dripping that occurs if you are not careful to push hard on the handles but someone I know tried to convince me I was wasting more money by not get it repaired. True? or false? I wondered.

So I sat down to figure it out. Where I live they charge me a whopping $4.09 for every thousand gallons of water. How much water was I wasting? Not as much as I first thought. I decided to count the drips and see. I counted 120 drips in a minute. After checking with a drip calculator online(they really have a calculator for everything now!) I found out I am wasting close to 4,200 gallons a year, or a little over $16.00. Not really a valid argument for fixing the sink but I will anyway because it seems like a green thing to do. And the drip is annoying too!

No comments: